Exciting news. Our app has a new name – Healthily. Learn more
Spending time outdoors can benefit your health, but it also increases your risk of insect bites and stings.
Many bites and stings are harmless, but they can be irritating and painful.
Some can also spread serious infections like malaria or West Nile virus, and some adults can have a severe allergic reaction to certain insect bites. So it’s important to know how to protect yourself.
You can minimise your chances of being bitten or stung by an insect, by:
If a bite becomes worse over time, infected, or if you feel unwell or have an allergic reaction you should see a doctor.
Allergic reactions are more common following stings from insects rather than bites, but if you are allergic, symptoms usually develop within 10 minutes.
You can find out the signs of an infection or allergy here.
Our Chief Medical Officer, Prof. Dr Maureen Baker, is ready to help. Just drop your comment into our latest Facebook post. She'll pick the best question of the day and post a reply. #askMaureen
Quote of the day
The mosquito is more dangerous than the tiger.
What topic would you like us to write about in the future?