Exciting news. Our app has a new name – Healthily. Learn more
Gas safety is just as important in the summer as it is in the winter. Poorly maintained appliances and boilers can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal. Find out how you can keep safe.
Gas central heating may be turned off in the summer, but your boiler is still being used for hot water and, perhaps, you use a gas cooker.
Remember the barbecue, too, which is often gas. More than 40% of us own a gas barbecue and 30% of us use it weekly to produce simple meals to enjoy outdoors.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas produced when fuel such as gas (or charcoal or petrol) burns incompletely. Inadequately installed or poorly maintained appliances and boilers increase the risk of carbon monoxide being produced.
You can’t see, taste or smell carbon monoxide. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reported that last year in the UK 319 people were killed or injured due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
It is important to look out for the warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and to seek urgent medical attention from your doctor or emergency department.
It is not always possible to check gas appliances for signs they are not working properly, such as lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones. It is better to ensure that all gas appliances are checked annually by a Gas Safe engineer.
If you are going on holiday abroad, follow these tips to protect yourself and your family:
Important: Our website provides useful information but is not a substitute for medical advice. You should always seek the advice of your doctor when making decisions about your health.