There are over 100 types of liver disease.
If you're looking for information on a particular type of liver disease, follow the links below. We have detailed information and advice for people with:
- alcoholic liver disease, where the liver is damaged after years of alcohol misuse, which can lead to cirrhosis (permanent scarring of the liver)
- non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, which is a build-up of fat within liver cells, usually seen in people who are overweight or obese
- hepatitis, which is inflammation (swelling) of the liver caused by a viral infection or exposure to harmful substances such as alcohol
- haemochromatosis, which is an inherited disorder that causes iron to slowly build up in the body and be deposited, usually around the liver
- primary biliary cirrhosis, which is a rare, long-lasting type of liver disease caused by the immune system that damages the bile ducts
We are continuously adding information to the site and will update this list as new liver diseases are added.
Important: Our website provides useful information but is not a substitute for medical advice. You should always seek the advice of your doctor when making decisions about your health.