Non-allergic rhinitis happens when the lining of the inside of the nose becomes swollen and inflamed. The reason why some people develop non-allergic rhinitis is not known. However, the condition can be triggered by many things, including:
Symptoms of non-allergic rhinitis can include:
Allergic and non-allergic rhinitis both describe an inflammation of the lining of the nose. However, allergic rhinitis is caused by a substance, such as pollen, that triggers an allergy. Non-allergic rhinitis is not caused by an allergy.
Some people, typically the elderly, can develop a type of non-allergic rhinitis that is triggered by eating, especially hot and spicy foods. This is called gustatory rhinitis and it causes your nose to start running around two hours after eating. In this case, avoiding hot and spicy foods may help to improve your symptoms.
Some food preservatives or dyes can also cause gustatory rhinitis.
If you have sensitive nasal blood vessels, you may develop a type of rhinitis called vasomotor rhinitis. In this condition, chemical irritants or changes in the weather can cause your nose to run.
Keeping a diary of when your rhinitis symptoms appear may help you to identify if specific foods are causing your symptoms. Speak to your doctor before removing any foods from your diet.
Many things can trigger non-allergic rhinitis, but the reason why some people develop non-allergic rhinitis is not known.
As the reason why some people develop non-allergic rhinitis is not known, it is not clear if non-allergic rhinitis can be cured. However, you can treat non-allergic rhinitis by treating the cause. This can include:
You can naturally treat non-allergic rhinitis by treating the cause. This usually involves natural methods, such as:
If your symptoms are caused by a viral infection, you may not need any treatment as the infection usually goes away on its own within one to two weeks.
Different nasal sprays can help to improve the symptoms of non-allergic rhinitis. These sprays may be bought from a pharmacy without a prescription. They include:
Nasal sprays are not suitable for everyone. Read the leaflet that comes with them or speak with a pharmacist to make sure you can use them safely.
Always read the manufacturer's instructions to see how to correctly use these sprays.
Do not use decongestant sprays for longer than five to seven days at a time because overusing them can make congestion worse.
Important: Our website provides useful information but is not a substitute for medical advice. You should always seek the advice of your doctor when making decisions about your health.
Find our site useful? Try our appSee all our available platforms